A Productive Mistake?!?

Just over a month ago my doctor switched up my anxiety/depression medication.   The first couple of weeks were rough; I felt like I was living in a haze with a terrible headache. By about the third week the haze lifted, and I started feeling pretty good.  One lasting side-effect is my inability to enjoy a couple glasses of wine on the weekend.  Two glasses of wine, and I’m pretty much out for the night — kind of a bummer.  Big plus, however, is my renewed energy levels.  I get a big energy boost right after I take them, which lasts for a few hours.  So this is how the story of my Sunday starts…

Yesterday was a typical Sunday morning.  I got up around 6am, shuffled into the kitchen, and  went straight for my coffee mug. Like a zombie on autopilot, I put an espresso pod in the tassimo maker and pressed start.  Next I went to the pantry to get the oatmeal for breakfast, but I stopped before openning the cupboard door.  I’m usually starving as soon as I get up in the morning, but I wasn’t yesterday.  I decided to wait a bit before having breakfast.  If you knew me,  you would understand that not making breakfast right away meant something was off.  I’m  a breakfast girl, and if I don’t eat as soon as I get up, look out.  However, I wasn’t hungry, and I wasn’t gonna force myself to eat.  I think I ended up having breakfast sometime around 7am.  I bet you are wondering where this not so interesting story is going.  Well I’m getting there.  It was the change in my morning routine that set the day’s craziness in action.

You see, part of my morning routine is taking my medications.  Currently, this means half a dose of my old meds (still weaning off them), and a full dose of the new ones.  I take the old ones right away, but I wait to take my new ones until I eat.  The new ones make me nausous if not taken with food.  I spent the morning studying and catching up on some blog reading.

I had coffee plans with a friend at 9am, so at 8:30am I shut my computer down and got ready to head out.  Just before I left the house, I looked at my pill bottles and asked myself “Did I take my meds?”  I couldn’t remember; no recollection at all.   I remember taking the half dose of my old ones, but I couldn’t remember if I had taken the new ones when I got around to eating.  Well shit.  To be safe I took one and left the house.

The cafe was buzzing with the weekend morning crowd, and I got in line to order my coffee.  My friend was already waiting for me, and she had grabbed us our usual table.  I ordered my coffee, and when the barista gave me the total, I looked at him with a blank stare.  For some reason I couldn’t compute what I was supposed to do next.  Luckily, my friend had come up beside me and she handed him her coffee card to pay for my order.  I looked at her and said, “I think I double dosed, and I’m feeling really weird.”  She looked concerned and walked me back to the table.  My heart was racing, and I struggled to catch my breath.  I got extremely agitated; I almost bolted for the door just to try to get away from the feeling.  It felt something like a panic attack, but just the physical part — I wasn’t worrying about anything.  I didn’t know if I should just sit and wait it out, go for a walk, or totally lose my mind.  I decided to wait it out.  It took about 15 minutes for the speedy feeling to pass, and then I was left on feeling EXTREMLY Alert.  My friend, although initially concerned, found my wide-eyed look of surprised to be pretty humorous.  I think I looked something like this:

I literally felt like the world was on fast forward.  The rest of the day went by in a blur.  I grocery shopped (twice), prunned all my trees, cut the grass, weed-wacked, went for an hour long run, went to the gym, took the dog for a hike, went shopping for a gift for a friend (wander the mall for an hour), cleaned my floors, cleaned the bathroom, did 4 loads of laundry, and sat in the sun for a bit.  This all went down before three in the afternoon.  Talking to people was my give away.  I talked fast and I skipped from one topic to the next without taking a breath.  I only talked to friends and family for this reason.  The day went by in a flash — it was like I woke up and then it was time for bed.

Was I tired by the end of the day?  Not even a little bit.  It took me a good hour to fall asleep once I forced myself to bed.  The double dose was not intended, and initially I thought I was gonna lose it.  However, this whoopsy turned into a pretty productive day!





Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s